Mike and Diane Wilson -
Free Spirit Writers
The Century's Progress
BRIDLINGTON QUAY and Bridlington Town, sometimes called Burlington, are said to occupy the site of an old Roman station named Gabrantovicorum, and the sheltered bay at this place is the Sinus Portuosus of Ptolemy. Throughout the district are numerous tumuli, which, from certain evidences, are believed to date from a period anterior to the Roman occupation of Britain. At the present day the place is devoted largely to the reception of visitors, who come here to enjoy the magnificent coast scenery. Flamborough Head, and many other spots of interest to tourists and holiday-makers, are in the vicinity. Bridlington Quay has fine sands, a marine parade, ornamental gardens, a chalybeate spring, and other attractions calculated to make a stay here very enjoyable. The local trades are well conducted, and there is excellent hotel accommodation. Population in 1881, 8,343; in 1891, 8,916.
Richard Brown, Printer, Bookseller, Stationer, and Publisher (of the Bridlington Quay Observer), 3, King Street, Bridlington. Quay. — Organised concurrently with the inauguration of the Bridlington Quay Observer, in the year 1853, by a Mr. G. Furby, and subsequently promoted by his son, Mr. John William Furby, this representative printing, publishing, and stationery business was acquired in 1887 by its present able and energetic proprietor, to whose vigorous policy of administration much of the present high prosperity of the concern is directly due. Eligibly located in the busiest quarter of the town, the spacious emporium is elegantly appointed throughout in the best modern style. A comprehensive stock is held of exclusively superior goods illustrative of books in every branch of literature, many of which are very elegantly bound and suitable for prizes and presentations, a particularly fine series of local photographic views, published at small cost, all manner of plain, educational, commercial, fancy, court, and mourning stationery, office requisites and stationers' sundries, and a vast variety of fancy, useful, and ornamental articles. The printing-office at the rear comprises a large three-storeyed building, elaborately equipped with all the most modern machinery and appliances, driven by a powerful gas-engine, and here, with a staff of four competent and experienced hands, Mr. Brown undertakes all kinds of commercial, job, and general letterpress printing, and bookbinding, in addition to the publication of his highly esteemed local weekly newspaper, The Bridlington Quay Observer, which is issued every Wednesday and Saturday during the season. Personally Mr. Brown is well known and much esteemed in both social and commercial circles as an enterprising, honourable, and thoroughly capable business man.
William Day, Aerated-water Manufacturer, Grocer and Provision Merchant, Hilderthorpe, Bridlington Quay. — The above well-known concern was originally established about twenty years ago by Mr. Jackson, by whom it was continued down to 1883, when the business was acquired by the present proprietor, who has since that date considerably developed the undertaking with successful enterprise. The premises occupied by Mr. Day comprise extensive range of buildings conveniently adapted for manufacturing purposes, and which are now undergoing considerable alterations by the addition of a new wing in order to provide increased accommodation for a special department of the business to which we shall subsequently refer. The establishment is replete with new and improved plant and machinery for facilitating the production of high-class mineral waters, including bottling, filling, corking, and syphon appliances and apparatus for bottle-washing, etc. Motive force for the machinery is derived from an "Otto" gas-engine. The beverages supplied from the works include soda and potass waters, ginger beer, ginger ale, and lemonade of the purest and most wholesome quality, in ordinary and stoppered bottles and syphons. The leading specialities produced by the firm are "Dandelion Stout," "Hop Ale," and "Stone Ginger Beer," which are manufactured from the purest ingredients and have achieved a high local reputation for their superior flavour and refreshing and stimulating properties. The "Stone Ginger Beer" may be specially noted as having acquired a remarkable popularity, and it is in connection with the increased demand for this beverage that Mr. Day is undertaking the extension of the premises. A widespread and influential local and district connection has been established by the proprietor, who numbers amongst his numerous customers the leading hotel, restaurant, and inn keepers in Bridlington Quay and the neighbourhood, who are daily waited upon for orders during the season. In addition to this important business Mr. Day has also a handsomely appointed and well-stocked establishment known as Ferndale House, Hilderthorpe, where he carries on an extensive trade as a family grocer and provision merchant, and in this department it is gratifying to record that, in maintaining a uniformly high standard of quality in all goods supplied, he has secured a substantial success in catering for the requirements of the public in this branch of commercial enterprise.
J. W. Postill, Tailor and Habit Maker, King Street House, Bridlington Quay. — Maintaining an eminent reputation in all the higher branches of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring, this representative house was organised as far back as the year 1787, by the late Mr. William Postill, grandfather of the present proprietor, to whom, it may be interesting to know, the honour belonged of having introduced Scotch tweeds for the making of garments into England. The business has been successively promoted by the founder's son, Mr. J. W. Postill, and, since 1865, by his grandson, the present able and energetic proprietor, who still keeps up the prestige of the house in the matter of the best and most fashionable novelties in Scotch tweeds, although, of course. West of England and other popular fabrics are also fully represented. In the admirably equipped work-rooms the cutting is all carried on by and under the personal supervision of Mr. Postill, in his capacity as an expert practical craftsman, while much of his success is doubtless due to the fact that every man employed by him is a soundly experienced and skilful exponent of the tailor's art, and is chosen a member of the working staff by reason of his qualifications in these respects. Gentlemen's fashionable attire for all occasions, together with tourists' and sportsmen's suits, hunting outfits, riding breeches and trousers, ladies' jackets, habits, and costumes, and servants' liveries are all included in Mr. Postill's productions, and in every instance these garments are turned out in a state of perfection in all essential characteristics of style, fit, good taste, and faultless finish. Personally, Mr. Postill is well known and highly esteemed, in both trade and social circles, as an enterprising, honourable, and thoroughly capable business man, and he takes a deep and beneficial interest in all matters relating to the welfare of the community in which he dwells, holding and creditably discharging the onerous duties of many responsible offices, and acting as the valued honorary secretary to the Sailors' and Working Men's Club Institute.
J. Wilkinson, Practical Watchmaker, Jeweller, and Optician, 4, King Street, Bridlington Quay. — The history of this business extends back many years ago to its original foundation by the late Mr. Cramp, who carried on the concern down to 1880, when it was acquired by Mr. Wilkinson, the present sole proprietor. The premises occupied by this gentleman are centrally situated at 4, King Street, one of the best business positions in the town, and comprise a handsome and commodious shop, with attractive window frontage in which is effectively arranged a tasteful display of elegant novelties representing the various departments of the business. The interior is appointed throughout in high-class modern style, elegant show-cases being provided for the display of the costly goods submitted for inspection in all parts of the establishment. The stock is replete with a splendid selection of English and foreign-made watches, diamond and other valuable gem jewellery, wedding, keeper, mourning, and engagement rings in standard gold, silver and electro-plate goods, and an infinite variety of marble, ormolu, and bronze clocks, and ornamental timepieces and useful and elegant articles suitable for wedding and birthday gifts, prizes, presentations, etc. In the optical department Mr. Wilkinson shows an extensive assortment of high-class goods in gold spectacles and eyeglasses, field, marine, and opera glasses, and other specialities in this line, amongst which may be mentioned the agency for Henry Laurance's improved spectacles. A first-class repairing trade has also been developed by the proprietor, who, as a practical expert in each branch of the business, is fully qualified to undertake any class of work in this department, he having learnt his trade in Coventry with one of the best-known houses. The establishment is widely patronised by the elite of the gentry resident and visiting in the locality, whose confidence and support have been secured by the exceptionally high standard of superior quality which distinguishes every article supplied from the establishment. An adequate staff of assistants is employed in the sale and repairing departments, under the personal direction of the proprietor, whose extended connection with the trade affords an ample guarantee for the highest efficiency and completeness in every detail of the management of this deservedly successful business concern.
Reproduced from The Century's Progress: Yorkshire. Published by The London Printing & Engraving Co. 1893